February 18, 2012

Chicken Soup for the Musical Soul



I've recently started venturing outside the friendly confines (Editor's Note: this is definitely not a Chicago Cubs reference) of indie rock, a genre with which I feel very at home and knowledgeable.  I've taken a look at both jazz and the blues, and even had good intentions about getting into some reggae.  Each genre exploration is in various stages though, as there's only so much time in the day to listen to stuff.....and no matter how hard I try, I just can't listen to everything...and have a job....and have a kid...and watch a lot of baseball.  There's only so much time.

Regardless, my most recent foray has been into soul music.  I suppose I've always known enough to throw out some names of classic soul artists like Aretha, Otis, Al Green, etc.  However, beyond some standard radio hits, I'm kind of at a loss when it comes to their better work.  That being said, my soul revival....actually, I suppose it can't exactly be called a "re"vival if I was never interested in the first place....how about my soul vival?  Is that a word?  Spell-check is saying no....but it also thought my last name wasn't a word either....stupid spell-check.  As I was saying, my interest in soul music has been spawned by some up-and-coming artists that are relatively new in the musical landscape.

Before I get to some of the new artists I've been digging, I feel like we should all be on the same page regarding the definition of soul music.  According to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, soul music arose (and I'm paraphrasing here) out of the African-American experience in the United States and contains a mix of gospel and R&B in the form of secular testifying.  Secular gospel sounds about right to me.  Now, honestly, I know little of the "African-American experience" and I won't pretend to....but I totally dig the idea of a gospel/blues combo.  Wikipedia also mentions that "catchy rhythms, stressed by handclaps and extemporaneous body moves, are an important feature of soul music."  If there's one thing I'm known for....it's my extemporaneous body moves. 

The first artist that inspired my interest in soul was played for me about 9 months ago.  Aloe Blacc (which sounds more like an anti-itch ointment than a soul musician) released an album entitled Good Things mid-way through last year.  "Green Lights" was the first song I heard off that album (I've linked to it below).  On the whole, the album has a very "produced" sound.....for lack of a better word, but a number of the songs are catchy.  What I find the most interesting is the very upbeat way that Blacc describes otherwise downtrodden situations and hardships.  It's like he's trying to make you feel good about the tough times he's experienced.

Aloe Blacc - Green Lights (buy)
Aloe Blacc - I Need a Dollar (buy)

My interest in Aloe made me go back through the soul archives of the past couple years to an artist that has taken the indie world by storm over the past decade.  I had always heard of Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings, but never really considered them my "cup of tea".  The Dap-Kings are the house band for Sharon Jones' record label Daptone Records.  Supposedly they're known for their revivalist intentions manifested by opting for analog recording equipment vs. digital.  In my opinion, the result is a sound right out of the 60's and 70's that sands down the smooth edges heard on Aloe's record.  Every song you listen to sounds like you're hearing it on 50-year old vinyl.  And as good as their albums are, I'm guessing they are a band that KILLS it live.  Unfortunately I've never seen them.

Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings - How Do I Let a Good Man Down? (live)

All this leads me to my favorite soul "discovery" of the past few months.  Michael Kiwanuka. He is an emerging soul artist out of the UK by way of Uganda (seriously, how many times have we heard that story).  He's released two EPs, Tell Me a Tale: The Isle of Wight Sessions last year and I'm Getting Ready this year, with a full length on the way next month.  Michael's first 6 songs (over the two EPs) have me extremely excited about the full length.  He shows a broad range over the songs from the stripped down "Home Again" to the larger band-backed "Tell Me a Tale" which begins with a Jethro Tull-style flute.  These songs are great.

Michael Kiwanuka - Home Again (buy)
Michael Kiwanuka - Tell Me a Tale (buy)

I'm basically in the beginnings of my understanding and enjoyment of soul music.  I'd love to dive into some earlier works by the Otis Reddings of the musical world, but these newer folks are more than "scratching my itch" for the time-being.  I hope you enjoy the songs as well.  I've included links to places where you can buy each of the albums mentioned above. So if you really dig them, think about purchasing one or two.  I really don't think you'll be disappointed.  Also, if you've got any other suggestions on where to point my musical compass, I'd love to hear them.  Leave them in the comments section below.

RR

No comments:

Post a Comment