February 10, 2012

It Only Took a Year

I guess I'm technically posting a picture of someone else's house.  If you own this house now....sorry.

358 days later we sold our house.  Seriously.  One week short of a year.  I'm a real estate novice, but even I know that's a long time.  In a time when many people don't have jobs and may not know where their paychecks are coming from in a few months, it seems a little silly to be so stressed and "mad" about a house not selling.....but that's just the way it was.  There wasn't a day that went by that I didn't think and worry about it.  But no longer.  It's sold.

Now there's a huge part of me that thinks, "Bout damn time," and that's easily the most dominant feeling.  But there's certainly a bittersweet feeling associated with getting rid of our house as well. You see....we built that house.  For the better part of a year that house was our baby.  We chose the lot and monitored the day-to-day progress for nine months.  We obsessed over every detail, from the door knobs to the custom wine rack.  We personally did all the landscaping, including the Asian pear tree in the back yard.  It was fun, stressful, and ultimately an amazing experience.  But now, someone else owns it.  That's the bittersweet part.  Someone else is enjoying the "fruits" of our labor.  But that's just the way it goes sometimes.  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't change a thing though if I could do it all over again....because "in the end no one learns a lesson".  Building and owning that house was a blast for the 2 years that we were there.

So this blog post is in honor of our old home.  My favorite thing to do there was sit on the back porch, listen to music, and watch the sun set.  I've posted a picture of one of those sunsets below...I think you can see why I loved it so much.  In addition, I've linked to a couple songs at the bottom of this post that specifically make me think of that house.  There is nothing particularly special about any of the songs, and I'm not writing up any additional commentary about the songs....but for one reason or another each of these songs reminds me of our Washington home.  I hope you enjoy them.


Beach House - Norway

Deer Tick - Piece by Piece and Frame by Frame

The Hold Steady - The Weekenders

RR

No comments:

Post a Comment